// you’re reading...

Color Management

DNG Profiles for Olympus Cameras

In building or boosting your workflow, you can get the most “bang for your buck” by minimizing the number of manual corrections you must make to match your photos to your vision of the original scene. DNG profiles can significantly improve your camera raw workflow by providing you with a better starting point than Adobe’s defaults in Lightroom and Photoshop, streamlining your whole workflow in the process.

In an earlier post, I offered my first thoughts on the new X-Rite Color Checker Passport software. After using the profiles for the better part of two months, I’ve been quite pleased with the DNG profiles created by the Color Checker Passport software.

Now it’s your turn for some testing. Below I’ve posted links to download my DNG Profiles for the Olympus E-3, E-30, E-620 and E-P1, created with both the Adobe DNG Profile Editor and X-Rite Color Checker Passport. Run them through the paces and let me know if they improve your workflow. What situations do they best the defaults in ACR, where do they fall flat? Please update me on the results of your tests. I think they will be quite interesting.

Before downloading the profiles, please read a couple important caveats:
– The test targets were photographed in less-than-ideal conditions. As a result, the profiles may not be as accurate as possible. In coming weeks, I hope to reshoot the targets using a more standard methodology and will repost new DNG profiles when they are available.

– These profiles are for testing purposes only. You should not use them for your production work until you’ve evaluated them thoroughly.

– If you find these DNG profiles valuable, create your own. It takes less than 30 minutes to roll your own profile and you’ll get better results if you use your camera and your lighting setup. Here’s a video to show you how.

Now to the good stuff. Download the zip-compressed DNG file for your camera. Copy the profiles to the following folder:

Mac: /Users/UserName/Library/ApplicationSupport/AdobeCameraRaw/CameraProfiles

Windows XP: Root Drive(C)\Documents and Settings\UserName\ApplicationData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

Windows Vista: Root DRive (C)\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles

After installing the profiles, relaunch Photoshop and Lightroom. The profiles should now be visible within the Calibration panel of ACR and can be used on both DNG and manufacturer-specific raw file formats.

In the zipped file, you will find two DNG profiles. Those with -DNGPE in the file name were created using Adobe’s DNG Profile Editor Software. Those with -CCP were created with X-Rite’s Color Checker Passport.

Download Links:

Olympus E-P1:OlyE-P1_DNGProfiles.zip

Olympus E-3: OlyE-3_DNGProfiles.zip

Olympus E-30:OlyE-30_DNGProfiles.zip

Olympus E-620: OlyE-620_DNGProfiles.zip

New: Olympus E-520: Olympus E-520.dcp

Discussion

43 comments for “DNG Profiles for Olympus Cameras”

1. Does anybody have profiles for E-500 and E-520?
    Looking for them for a long time…

Posted by Ronyzmbow | December 6, 2009, 6:01 am
  2. Ronyzmbow,

If you would like to photograph the Color Checker target for the E-500 or E-520, I’ll be happy to build the profiles for you.

Otherwise, I’ll try and build the profile for the E-520 later this week.

Jay

Posted by jay | December 6, 2009, 6:01 pm
  3. Jay,
    Many thanks!
    i don’t have the Color Checker target, so if you make a profile for the E-520 it would be just great!
    Thanks!

Posted by Ronyzmbow | December 6, 2009, 10:24 pm
  4. Jay
    Glad to see someone doing something about profiles for Olys. BTW I love your book. However, as I understand it, the Adobe Standard in LR contains profiles matched to specific cameras one being the E-3. I expect Adobe went through this exact process to create it so I don’t see why your profile would necessarily be an improvement, or am I missing something? Actually, what I would love to see is for Adobe to create profiles for to recreate the Oly picture modes Vivid, Natural, Muted, Portrait and Monotone. They do it for Canon, Nikon and Leica. I asked Adobe about that. They dismissed the idea siting Oly’s small market share and unwillingness to cooperate. Anyway, a guy whose name escapes me made the profiles available on one of the 4/3 sites. I’ve been using them quite successfully. I guess I just like the idea of using what Oly thinks is correct as the starting point for PP without having to use JPGs or Master/Studio. It would be really cool if, with your skills and keen eye, you created the picture mode profiles. There would be a lot of thankful Oly users.

Posted by Bob | December 12, 2009, 5:15 am
  5. Bob,

Thanks for your comment. Adobe’s standard profiles were designed to match the look of in-camera JPEGs. These will be similar, though I’ve had better results with the custom profiles than the Adobe Standard profiles.

I’d encourage you to give them all a try and see which works best for you.

As to fine-tuning the profiles, I’d suggest using these profiles as a starting point, then adding your custom adjustments (blue skies, skin tones, etc) and saving the profile and the additional corrections as a preset.

As support for DNG profiles grows, I’ll continue to post updates here.

In the meantime, please keep the comments coming!

– Jay

Posted by Jay | December 12, 2009, 12:26 pm
  6. Any chance of an E-510 profile? I have no Color Checker to photograph though… ;-(

Thanx.

Posted by Alan | December 13, 2009, 4:11 pm
  7. Thank you Jay. I have D/L the 620 files: definitely different from my Dngs

Love Vjim

Posted by vincent filomena | December 13, 2009, 6:30 pm
  8. Jay
    The profiles I mentioned above came from http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4033 . They are substantially different to your profile but I haven’t had time to fully evaluate the difference. Incidentally I also have an E-3 profile from Huelight. It seens identical to your E-3-DNGPE. The thing is. I’m a newbie to colour profiling and what I like of my work one week I hate the next, so, I’m looking to guys like yourself with decades of experience to tell me what generally works. I can then tweak it a bit to get the mood I want.

Posted by Bob | December 14, 2009, 3:47 am
  9. Bob,
    The profiles on the 4:3 forum you pointed me to sound like they were modified to match the on-camera JPEGs. Mine should be more neutral. One of the comments on the other forum suggested there may be problems with the reds in one or more of the profiles. That may account for some of the differences you’re seeing.

From your comment, it sounds like you’re a bit dissatisfied with the corrections you get from week to week. That’s perfectly normal as it takes a lot of time and practice to develop your color eye. Unfortunately, due to the wide range of shooting conditions and shooting styles, the most one can realistically expect from a profile is to serve as a good starting point. Are there any specific issues you’re seeing? Perhaps I can address them in an upcoming blog post or Webinar.

Posted by jay | December 14, 2009, 8:52 am
  10. If I understand these profiles, they help determine the colors, only, of the raw conversion. The main reason I use Oly Studio to convert my ORF files from an E510 is the resolution, or level of detail that comes from Studio compared to all other converters.

Is this something easily obtained in Lightroom by merely more sharpening? Or some form of local contrast enhancement?

The colors from Studio are fine, and a bit more vivid than those from Lightroom with the Adobe Standard profile. But were I able to get the level of resolution, and an almost 3D effect, from LR that I get now from Studio, I would stop the clumsy process of conversion in Studio followed by PP in LR or LZ.

Posted by Bob goldstein | December 15, 2009, 5:52 pm
  11. Bob,

I’m glad you’re having such great success with Oly Studio. For your workflow, the DNG profiles would be unnecessary. They are primarily for an Adobe workflow as ACR is the only software currently supporting DNG profiles.

The profiles work by applying a look-up-table on top of the base conversion performed in ACR. This LUT fine-tunes the results in ACR. Since you’re getting such good results in Oly Studio, there’s no need to change at this time.

If you have the inclination, would you mind posting the results you’re seeing with Oly Studio to compare them with Lightroom or Photoshop?

Thanks,

Jay

Posted by jay | December 16, 2009, 9:32 am
  12. im getting somewho a green cast in my photos with your profile in lightroom beta 3 compared with the adobe standar (i jhave olympus e-p1)

skin tones are yellow sand is green

with the standard profile skintones have a red cast and colours are dull

t has some colours very accurate

purples sometimes look better than default and sometimes not

the blues are better

oranges are nt and that is why skin tones dont look saturated enough to look pleasing without becoming artificial and a saturation boost in all colors with the same level doesent solve the problem

the colorchecker is so wrong

the e-p1 dng is the one i m talking and using even though it has the problems i have told you up

thanks

try to compare the results with olympus studio and the dafault ad then you will see if they are accurate

Posted by compositor20 | December 17, 2009, 3:46 pm
  13. Compositor 20,

I’m surprised to hear that skin tones are yellow and sand is green. What on-camera or default white balance setting are you using? Have you applied any other corrections to the file or returned to Adobe’s base profile? I’d love to try and track down the problems you’re seeing since they are quite different than what I’ve been seeing on my system.

Thanks for your help.

Jay

Posted by jay | December 17, 2009, 3:56 pm
  14. Jay,

Any progress with a profile for the E-520 as promised?
    I am many people are waiting for it.

Rony

Posted by Ronyzmbow | December 20, 2009, 12:18 am
  15. Rony,

No progress to report at this time. I’m not likely to get to it until I build a completely new set of profiles. I don’t think that will happen in the next couple of weeks as I’m up to my eyeballs with current projects.

Sorry to disappoint, but I’d rather give you an honest answer. If you can borrow and shoot a target, I can probably get it to you more quickly.

Best regards,

Jay
    Jay

Posted by Jay | December 20, 2009, 6:56 pm
  16. Jay,

I’ll try to do that.
    Anyway, many, many thanks for your honesty and efforts.

Best and Merry Christmas,

Rony Zmiri – Denmark

Posted by Ronyzmbow | December 20, 2009, 10:36 pm
  17. “I don’t think that will happen in the next couple of weeks as I’m up to my eyeballs with current projects.” ???
    Hey, it’s Christmas! Take a break!
    Anyway, best wishes for Christmas and have a happy new year.
    Bob

Posted by Bob | December 22, 2009, 1:26 am
  18. A break, what a wonderful idea! 🙂

I’ll try and get to them after the new year.

Happy holidays to you as well.

Jay

Posted by Jay | December 22, 2009, 1:45 pm
  19. Hi Jay,

I have found over the net an ORF file of a target color checker taken with Olympus E-520. The file is about 10 MB. Is there a way to upload it here or perhaps mail it to you. Just instruct me.
    Merry Christmas!

Rony

Posted by Ronyzmbow | December 23, 2009, 6:49 am
  20. Rony,
    Good news! Go ahead and email it to jay at prorgb dot com.

Thanks,

Jay

Posted by Jay | December 23, 2009, 7:52 am
  21. Jay,
    I see others have also asked for it, any chance of getting a profile for the E500? Thanks
    Bob

Posted by Robert Carstens | April 22, 2010, 10:21 am
  22. Have you a DNG profile on the E1?

Thanks in advance

Roy

Posted by Roy Keagy | July 18, 2010, 12:18 pm
  23. Have you a DNG profile on the E1?

Thanks in advance

Roy

Posted by Roy Keagy | July 18, 2010, 12:18 pm
  24. Roy,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately, I don’t have a profile for the E-1. I’ve tried to cover the currently available Olympus models, but haven’t been able to build profiles for older models. Have you tried searching online photography forums to see if another E-1 user has posted one?

Jay

Posted by Jay | July 18, 2010, 3:48 pm
  25. I will…….thx for your answer

Posted by Roy Keagy | July 18, 2010, 4:51 pm
  26. Could you please advise where to store the downloaded files in Windows 7.

Thanks

Posted by Peter | September 19, 2010, 6:49 am
  27. Peter, it looks like it isn’t quite as simple to install the profiles in Windows 7. Here’s a thread that should help answer your question.

Jay

Posted by Jay | September 20, 2010, 11:50 am
  28. Hi Jay,
    Can you make a profile for the Olympus E-PL1?
    I have 2 ORF files of Color Checker – 100ISO and 200ISO I can send to you.

Posted by Rony Zmiri - ronyzmbow | April 2, 2012, 12:39 am
  29. Rony, have you tried building them yourself? I could build them for you, but it would take you less time to build them yourself than to upload the files to me.

Posted by Jay | April 3, 2012, 12:37 pm
  30. Jay,
    I have tried once to make a profile but it was difficult and I did not like the result. It could be very nice if you can do it, when you have the time. Is – jay at prorgb dot com – still the address to send the file?

Posted by Rony Zmiri - ronyzmbow | April 7, 2012, 2:11 pm
  31. Jay,

I want to have your attention to 2 threads I have opened in Olympus forums in the UK

Posted by Rony Zmiri - ronyzmbow | April 8, 2012, 3:04 am
  32. Rony, yes, that address will work just fine. Let me dig into the two threads you’ve linked to and get back to you.

Posted by Jay | April 8, 2012, 10:47 am
  33. Posted by Rony Zmiri - ronyzmbow | April 11, 2012, 7:32 am
  34. Can you make a profile for the Olympus olympus E-5?

BTW: Can i use E-3 profile for E-5 ? i tried to install E-3 profile in Lightroom4.1 ,but i can’t see the option in menu

Posted by Benson | September 25, 2012, 8:48 pm
  35. Benson,

You have to create a separate DNG profile for each camera. Lightroom will only display profiles for the camera used to take the photo.

Posted by Jay | September 25, 2012, 10:15 pm
  36. Hi Jay ,
    I tried to use your profiles for my surrounding – Olympus E-30 / Lightroom 4.4 / Win 7 . Invented a new Folder ‘Olympus E-30’ in ‘C:\ProgramData\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles\Camera’ . After that I copied your E-30 DCP’s into the new Folder . Result : Lightroom only will show ‘Adobe Standard’ as Camera Profiles in the Development Module . Can you Help please ?
    Thanks – Paul M.

Posted by Paul Möller | April 11, 2013, 1:05 am
  37. Paul, try removing the E-30 sub-folder and see if that solves the problem. The next thing to double-check is to be sure the image was taken with the E-30. I’ve certainly made that mistake more than once.

Posted by Jay | April 11, 2013, 10:04 am
  38. Jay – thanks for your Support.

Removing the sub-folder doesn’t help .
    And the raw-files are definitely from an Olympus E-30 .

Thanks- Paul

Posted by Paul Möller | April 11, 2013, 10:46 am
  39. Paul,

That’s very strange-I’ve never come across this problem before. What happens if you select an older processing option? Will the DNG profile appear then?

Posted by Jay | April 11, 2013, 10:59 am
  40. Ray – the older processing Option doesn’t change the picture .
    A very strange Problem indeed .

Thanks for all your Support – Paul

Posted by Paul Möller | April 12, 2013, 12:18 am
  41. Jay – I found the solution to my Problem .
    Since LR4.3 user specific profiles (not delivered by Adobe) have to go into the Folder ‘C:\Users\yourusername\AppData \Roaming\Adobe\CameraRaw\CameraProfiles’

Having loaded your 2 profiles for the E-30 there into a newly created subfolder ‘Olympus E-30’ resulted in the show-up of these Folders in LR4.4 besides the Profile ‘Adobe Standard’.

Thanks for your help – Paul

Posted by Paul Möller | April 12, 2013, 5:54 am
  42. Dear Jay
    Hello,
    Could you please cearte a DNG profile for Nikon D90 Camera?
    Really Thanks in advance.

Posted by madjid | June 1, 2013, 7:11 am
  43. Madjid, I sorry, I am unable to provide additional DNG profiles. I’d encourage you to keep searching online and I’m sure you’ll find a Nikon user who has posted their profile for the camera you’re looking for.

Posted by Jay | June 1, 2013, 7:17 am